Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What Wikipedia Says About Me

Much to the chagrin of college professors and teachers everywhere, Wikipedia has become the first stop for many students when doing research online. The double-edged sword that is “the fee encyclopedia” is the fact that it can be edited by anyone, but even so it is chock full of good information and isn’t a bad place to start ones research.

So I decided, as I often do, to see what Wikipedia has to say about me. Here is the opening passage from the entry –
Prince Charming is a stock character who appears in a number of fairy tales. He is the prince who comes to the rescue of the damsel in distress, and typically must engage in a quest to liberate her from an evil spell. The name has been given to the heroes of a number of traditional folk tales, including Snow White and Cinderella.

These characters are often handsome and romantic, a foil to the heroine, and are seldom deeply characterized, or even distinguishable from other such men who marry the heroine. In many variants, they can be viewed more as rewards for the heroine rather than characters. [1]

"Prince Charming" is also used as a term to refer to the idealized man some women dream of as a future significant spouse[2].

The entry goes on to discuss the origins of my name and different versions of me in books and films. Overall the entry isn’t that bad, but I do have to beg to differ with the “stock character” accusation. I see myself as more of an archetype than a stock character. My only other complaint is that the entry is rather small but I am a bit of an elusive chap.

No comments:

Post a Comment